Sunday 27 January 2013

The Green Death

Encouraged by an essay in a certain book that I will review soon, I have turned my attention to Season 10 of the classic series again (well I did enjoy The Three Doctors). A few weeks ago I watched the final episode of that season, The Green Death.

And yes, I did think more of it than 'ew maggots'. Although there was much 'ew maggots' going on.

I love Jo Grant. I really, really do. The impression I got from listening to fandom was that she was a blonde ditz in inappropriate clothing. She is so much more than that (and I want her shoes!). I have now seen Jo in two Doctor Who stories and one Sarah Jane Adventures story and the strongest impression I get from her is passion. Give her a cause and she will fight for it with everything that she has. When she believes in something, she is tenacious and will even disobey the Doctor.

Jo Grant also does not like being treated like she is stupid. She's not stupid. She's just not a scientist. In The Green Death, she offers her help in going to down the mine, stating that she has first aid training that might be needed. When the Professor is ignoring her in the lab, she takes herself off to trap a maggot for him to study. Yes, it ultimately doesn't work out, but that was because the Brigadier called in an air strike, not because she wasn't capable. I really liked Jo in this story.

The other main thing I noted about The Green Death, is how relevant it is to what is here and now, in the twenty-first century. There is renewable energy (the nuthutch runs on water and wind power), environmental issues (the whole point of the story is that Global Chemicals is pumping it's waste into the old mine shaft and causing disaster and giant poisonous maggots), issues with the dangers of Artificial Intelligence (Global Chemicals is being run by a hypnotising computer obsessed with efficiency), globalisation (the Brigadier's original orders are to help Global Chemicals - they are global and have friends in high places), and corporate responsibility (the character Elgin sees many discrepancies with what his bosses are saying and wants to stop everything while the deaths are investigated, particularly when he discovers that they are indeed dumping their waste). All these issues are highly topical and relevant today. Even more so than in the 1970s, when this was aired.

Jumping to the end, I was struck by how heartbroken the Third Doctor was when Jo decided to stay with Professor Jones, get married and then travel up the Amazon. The image of him slipping out, climbing into Bessie and riving off into the night is very poignant. Even in his early days, losing his companions hurt.

All in all, I really loved this story. Next up I have another story from season 10 to watch. Carnival of Monsters, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment