Saturday 13 September 2014

Series 8 - Robot of Sherwood

Have I mentioned that I'm a Mark Gatiss fangirl? I suspect I have. The third episode of the series 8 continues that trend.

After two quite dark, cerebral episodes of Doctor Who to start the series, this medieval romp was a welcome change of pace. I like my Robin Hood ridiculously silly, and this fit right in.

Clara was once again awesome. Not only was she wearing a lovely costume, and thus actually dressing to fit the time period (something I wish happened more often), but she was representing me. Seriously, she did an excellent rendition of  a fangirl confronted with her obsession. Believe me, I know.

Also, not only did she take charge of the Doctor and Robin (proving why teaching is an excellent profession for the character), but she conducted yet another interrogation of the villain, getting him to talk before he made her talk.

Speaking of the villain, Ben Miller was utterly delightful as the Sheriff of Nottingham. Slimy and smarmy, obviously evil, yet oddly charming. I kind want Clara/Sheriff fanfiction now.

The robot knights were a lovely design and the spaceship looked appropriately bizarre. The golden arrow was perhaps not the best plot solution - in fact I don't particularly want to focus on the plot too much otherwise I will start to see far too many holes. But I loved the episode anyway.

The 'spoon' fight was hilarious and it was nice to see that it had a purpose in teaching Robin what trick to use to defeat the Sheriff. The 'Merry Men' were a tad superfluous, however the Doctor testing them to figure out what they were was very funny.

There was another mention of this mysterious 'promised land'. I have a theory, but I am not sharing. :P

The conversation between the Doctor and Robin at the end was perhaps most in keeping with the previous two episodes. The idea that stories are more important than real people is an interesting one. And the idea of the legend inspiring people to be true heroes is something we see time and time again in Doctor Who, even if it is not always spelt out for us.

Now I just need to survive the next episode without freaking out...

No comments:

Post a Comment