Monday 31 December 2012

SPOILERS - The Angels Take Manhattan

Yes, I am at least 3 months late with this post. My excuse is the difficulty of watching the damned thing without crying. Today is the closest I've come to it and there were still tears at certain points where Murray Gold's music swelled. Damn you Murray!

So, the final farewell to the Ponds. As you can probably tell by all the crying, I loved it!

I know there were plot holes (The Statue of Liberty is not made of stone, and also, how could it not have been seen?), but I just don't care. This entire series 7a hasn't really been about plot. It's been about the emotional stories. The relationship between Amy and Rory. The relationship between the Ponds and the Doctor. The Doctor's guilt over the effect he has unintentionally had on people(his comments about the victims in A Town Called Mercy). The relationship between the Doctor and River in this episode.

Speaking of which, River was very interesting here. Now a Professor, out of prison because the Doctor doesn't exist any more, she musn't be too far away from the library. It was definitely an older, calmer, more mature River. It showed in the friction between them when the Doctor healed her wrist, only for her to slap him. Will we see her again? I suspect she will be at Trenzalore, but that may not be for a while. With Amy and Rory gone though, some of River's relevance is also gone.

Rory. Goddess, I'm going to miss Rory. I'm not all that attached to Amy. I don't hate her or anything, but she's not quite Donna. I adore Rory though, and his relationship with the Doctor was much different to most. Perhaps a somewhat more mature, adult relationship than what many other companions have had. He sees the Doctor's flaws and had to actually grow to like him rather than being awed by him right from the start. His first reaction to the TARDIS and his conversation with the Doctor at the end of The Girl Who Waited come to mind.

What else can I say about the episode, apart from the two 'death' scenes turned me into a complete wreck?

I did like the film noir style to it, and Amy playing pooh sticks amused me. Oh! I'm still competely terrified of the weeping angels. Goddammit those cherubs were fucking creepy with their freaky giggle. *shivers* Definitely the scariest part of the episode.

I guess that's it. The Ponds are gone and this blog post is finally done. Next up, either my trip to the Doctor Who Symphonic Spectacular or The Snowmen, depending on my mood.

Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment